Friday, April 22, 2011

On This Most Holy Day...

I find myself filled with a sense of hushed awe today on this most sacred and amazing day. This day, above all other days, is the loudest and deepest "shout" of God's love for us. And I pause in wonder--"This is love, not that we loved God but that He loved us and sent His son as an atoning sacrifice for us." (1 John 4:10)

Because this is "Good Friday," I will defer until next week my reflections on how Papa has led me out of the darkest parts of mourning for Jettie. This day is too wonderful, too holy, in my opinion, to focus on anything besides the timeless demonstration of God's love for us we see in the cross. And so I offer a small reflection from my often upside down viewpoint.

I find myself today asking God to please help me go past all of the "religion" and assumptions that I carry in order to grasp in some new way the depth of His love for us/me. As I do this, I find myself wondering if I am sometimes too casual when I speak of "The blood." We sing about the blood, we "claim" the blood, we "pray the blood," etc., but I wonder if in doing so we don't forget at times what is behind the shedding of Jesus' blood. I wonder if at times I have thought of Jesus' blood as a "commodity" or as a "tool" rather than that which is most precious in all of the Universe because of what it cost God (Father, Son and Spirit!). Yet even in my wondering I choose not to go to a place of condemnation--that would deny the very thing that God paid so much to purchase for us: freedom from condemnation and the restoration of intimacy with Him! So instead I simply wonder, and in my wondering ask Papa to help me catch better than ever what is holy, what is good, and most of all, respond to His sacred embrace.

Lost in wonder and glad of it...

Tom, one of Abba's little boys

No comments: