Saturday, January 22, 2011

How Did Jesus Learn?

The little boy ran to his father's workshop, tears streaming down his face as he held the tiny bird in his trembling hand, "Daddy, the little sparrow died! Daddy, it hurts. Why did it have to die?"

The father paused in his work and gathered the little boy into his arms. "I know you are sad, little one, and I am sad with you. But God caught the little sparrow when it fell, little one, and He will catch your tears and help you not to be sad anymore. Why don't you ask Him what He wants to say to you about this?"

The little boy stayed for a while in his daddy's embrace before he answered, "Thank you, Daddy! I feel so safe in your arms. I was afraid, Daddy, and sad, but I am safe in your arms. And I think I will ask Abba what He wants to say to me, too."

Later, as the child was alone, He stilled His heart and said to His Abba, "Daddy, the little sparrow died! Daddy, it hurts. Why did it have to die?" And His Abba answered Him, "I know you are sad, little one, and I am sad with you. But I caught this little sparrow when it fell, and not a single little creature is ever forgotten by me. Don't be afraid, little one."

Years passed, and the time came when the child, now much older, stood by the lifeless body of His daddy. Through his tears, He heard His Abba's words, "I know you are sad, little one, and I am sad with you. But I caught your daddy when he fell, and He is with me now forever. Don't be afraid, little one. I will catch your tears, and I never forget those I love."

"Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs on your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." (Luke 12:6-7 NIV)

How did Jesus learn the remarkable truths that He shared with such absolute confidence? How did He learn that His Abba noticed even the death of a sparrow? How did He learn that His Abba would always provide for us? We sometimes forget that He learned these things the same way you and I get to learn them: by living life with Abba!

I wonder if Jesus knew that His Father cared about the death of a sparrow because of an event in His childhood similar to the one I just described. I wonder if He knew about Father’s provision because of all His years as a carpenter, learning by experience to trust that what God's word said about His Abba's faithfulness was true. I wonder if He knew about Father’s compassion for the sick because of conversations He had with His Abba during the years He wasn’t yet released to heal the sick and felt His heart breaking as He watched people succumb to the devil's attacks. Yes, I think that is the case. In fact, I am sure of it. God's word gave the foundation and language for truth, but Jesus learned about His Abba's heart and nature (the truth) by going through life in Abba's embrace, experiencing truth rather than just recognizing it as fact.

Why is this important to you and me? Because we learn the same way--that will never change. Because learning these kinds of life lessons, although aided by instruction, requires time living "loved and listening." Jesus was tempted to worry, just like we are. Jesus was afraid and tempted to question His Father's care, just like we are (Hebrews 4:15). But it was His ongoing experience of His Father's character that led Him to the perfect trust that kept Him without sin.

Trying to live by principles and instruction without the experience and time with Abba just doesn’t work (for many reasons!), yet many western Christians seem to think that instruction alone (or instruction plus good feelings) will change them. Jesus never intended for His teaching to be sufficient in and of itself, but rather intended for it to bring His hearers closer to His Father. Instruction provides the foundation and the framework for us to recognize and understand who God is (and sometimes what He is doing) but it cannot replace our experiencing who God is as we live out our lives with Him. Even in ordinary life this is how it works. Someone may say to us that they can be trusted or that they are capable, but we don’t really know that it's true--we don't really know them--until we see them live it out, as we experience over time the truth of what they say. Think about this, and I am sure you will not only "get it" but also hear Papa speaking to you about what this means to you.

For me, what it means is that John 1:18 takes on new meaning to me now. Jesus "lived in the Father’s lap" (a literal translation) continuously while He was here on earth, and it was in the Father's embrace that He learned the truths that He so confidently taught others. We can do the same--indeed, I am convinced that it's the only way really to "learn."

Leaning into Father’s embrace,

Tom, one of Abba's little boys

No comments: