Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Freedom of Simplicity

Many years ago Richard Foster wrote a book entitled, The Freedom of Simplicity, and I have borrowed his book title for this week's blog.

I have continued to learn lessons as God has led me through my grief (today marks 3 months to the day that Jettie graduated), but I am weary of writing about me, and I have found that I am at last able to think fairly clearly again and wanted to share from my heart about something I think is becoming increasingly important for believers as our world heads towards economic collapse: the freedom of living simply.

But first, for those who want a really good article on grief (triggered by the loss of a family pet), check out a recent blog by Wayne Jacobsen by clicking here. And for a great article by my friend, Steve Hill, about the primary place of relationships (not theological boxes), click here.

The apostle Paul, writing towards the end of his life, writes some amazing words about the freedom he had discovered in living simply. In Philippians 4:11b-13 he says, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

I could write a lot about this passage, but today I just want to point out that Paul's ability to live content in any circumstance stands in sharp contrast to what many of God's people today. Many believers I know are looking at the increasing signs of financial collapse in our world with the same kind of fear as those who don't know the Lord. Others are "stockpiling" and "hedging" so that they can be okay even when collapse happens (few with this mentality seem to be stockpiling so that they will be able to share with others--hmmmm.) Others are teaching that no matter what happens God will be sure that His people will be financially prosperous (something I find hard to believe since even in the present circumstances that isn't the case, and many who are prosperous seem unaware of how to live generously).

What's up with this fear and/or self-orientation? Paul's words tell us that it is possible to learn to live contentedly regardless of whether one has abundance or barely enough. But what is it we have to learn? Paul tells us, doesn't he? Earlier in this same letter he had told the Philippians what the simple focus of His life was, the "one thing" that formed the center of everything in His life: "I want to know Christ..." (Philippians 3:10a), something that is echoed in 4:13 where Paul's ability to be content grows from the strength He finds through Jesus.

So how does this relate to the phrase, "the freedom of simplicity"? Just that the inner simplicity of making relationship with God the one pursuit of life (rather than pursuing financial security or any other distracting thing) brings with it freedom from less important things, things that Father has promised to care for anyway. And growth in truly knowing Father, Son and Holy Spirit, always brings growth in childlike trust. The more you know Him, the more you will trust Him, period! And trust, of course, is the secret to living without fear regardless of circumstances.

But I will be the first to admit that I am not there yet, not where Paul was when he wrote these words. But I derive hope from the fact that this was written towards the end of Paul's life and he says, "I have learned." This means that living life itself, as it's lived out in relationship with Jesus, will bring us to increased simplicity and therefore increased freedom from fear/anxiety. Or at least that's what I think :-)

I could write more, but I close with my own prayer to Father, "Papa, please help me to simplify my inner life, so that my outer life may also reflect increasing simplicity and the winsome peace that it brings. May my increasing simplicity in every area of life be a compelling invitation to those around me to consider life simply lived in you!"

Tom, one of Abba's little boys

No comments: