Friday, July 8, 2011

Why Is It Taking So Long Me to Get Better?????

I was ambushed by a wave of mourning again this past week. Some of it was expected. Jettie's birthday was last Thursday, June 30, and I knew that "first" would be a bit rough, and it lived up to expectations with grief starting several days before the actual date then abating by the time the actual date arrived.

But the deep emotions and sense of loss didn't stop. Instead I felt like I was being assaulted by one wave of sorrow after another! I began to wonder if I had somehow messed up this mourning thing! But once again, Papa came to me, speaking to me through the Comforter, and reminded me that I was actually in the midst of three "firsts" within a short period of time: her birthday, July 4th (which she loved) and then our son Jon's birthday (today--happy birthday, beloved son!). As soon as Holy Spirit told me this, the lights came on for me. No wonder it felt like wave after wave was coming over me, with me having just enough time to get upright before being hit again!

It's a marvel to me how understanding something helps us to go through it. Just having God show me what was happening helped me put fears aside and once again lean into my mourning and embrace the tears. Our God is so very, very good, and I am grateful beyond words for His kindness to this still very broken man!

But there's more to this season right now, and I think I am supposed to share it with you. Obviously, one question that has come up for me of late is "Why is this taking so long?" In typical male fashion I keep wanting to get this thing over with! And because I am in a wonderful new relationship I had been thinking that I was indeed done with all of this, except for a few minor bumps. Okay, so that's a bit naive, but I am an indomitable optimist!

Anyway, Papa has been kind enough to answer my question about this, and I thought I would share a few of our conversations about this, lifted once again from journal. I trust that our conversation will be of some encouragement or other use to some of you.

From my journal entry on July 5 (with minor edits).
And speaking of my loss, you reminded me this morning that I have experienced a double loss in that Jettie was not only my lover but also best friend. I shared everything with her, as you know. This is a big thought, Papa, and one that helps me understand why more time is needed for mourning and for building relationship with CJ. And I also know this will go into what I write and/or speak about to others about the journey through grief and loss.
Pai, thank you, too, for the conversation with Jon. I was so broken that I couldn’t really talk that much, as you know. I am so broken right now, Papa, that I can’t even think of the conversation without starting to cry. What’s up with this, Papa? This is the most broken I have been since Valentine’s Day, I think, and it feels a little “dangerous” in that I am not very much in control of my emotions nor am I aware of what’s up! But I am still certain that you are holding me, Papa, in your righteous right hand.
But now, Papa. I seek your face. I am weary, as you know, of being so scattered and fragmented, but I cannot reassemble myself! My heart is still broken, I guess, on many levels.
But you are the One who heals the brokenhearted, so I bring my broken heart to you. Ah, Papa. Ah, Lord Jesus! Ah, Spirit Holy! I don’t want to go back in my journal even though I am sensing telling me to do so! But when I do go back, you send me back only 6 months, and there I find much treasure, including the truly apropos quote from Henri Nouwen, “The more afraid we are, the harder waiting becomes.” How true and how fitting for this season I am in right now when fear is once again troubling me. But I will rest in you.

From my journal entry on July 7 (with minor edits).
Papa, you know all things, though, so you know I am still more fragile than I expected to be this trip. I am fairly sure, too, that it’s connected with the challenge I am having getting and staying centered, yet even in this strange place I marvel at the level of peace I live in. Thank you for holding onto me so tightly, Father! But I long for more, so much more! And, Papa, I so don’t want to presume on your grace!
But even this morning, Papa, I find you reminding me that I am still more broken than I realize. Sigh. But I hear you encouraging me, and I find my mind and heart running to your word. But I dare not spend too much time “in my head,” Father, so I run back to you.
And as I listen, you tell me to go back one year, and I fearfully do so. It still hurts so much, Father! But it hurts differently than at first. Now it seems more about simply feeling loss. The first few months it felt more like I was grieving my sense of failure. It is clearly healthier to grieve loss! And the loss is far greater than I realized because it was obscured at first for a number of reasons. But I feel it now, Papa! Forty-one years! Why did I ever think I would recover from this in just a few short months? But you have led the mourning process all along, so here I am.

So there you have it. I am hoping that my transparency will once again serve at least some of you, if not right now then later. And I trust that you see most of all that this is so about God, not me. He is the one leading this process, carrying me along, speaking clearly and persistently until I get it. And the One who is Kindness and Grace will be just as persistent in His Kindness to you, dear one.

Healing at His pace...

Tom, one of Abba's wounded little boys

5 comments:

Stacy Urbanowicz said...

Tom, I can identify with your feelings and emotional rollercoaster. I wonder if that blind optimism about zipping through our grief journey isn't a buffer designed for us by our Creator. A strange but necessary gift. Marriage must be a far more mystical supernatural relationship than we know. It would consequently take longer than we'd like for Him to unravel our hearts and ties. That's my theory, anyway.

At the same time, our hearts are mysterious in the way we love. I think it's a beautiful thing that your new love has been provided to walk with you as you mourn Jettie. Isn't He kind? And surprising. Much love to you.

Stacy

Tom Wymore said...

Thanks, Stacy.

Beautiful thoughts, and I think you are right about Papa creating a buffer for us.

Thanks, too, for your encouragement regarding Charlie. She is a remarkable woman, someone who understands this grief journey and who lives a life filled with compassion and kindness. I am a twice-blessed man!

Love back to you.

Tom

Troy said...

Tom, I have no words of wisdom. Iknow Godhas told me that He loves me, He STILL has plans for my life, and He has not with held His love from me. You may not be aware that I have been through this particular grieving process twice now. All I can really tell you is that next to the Love of God and His faithfulness to never leave us, time is something that the Lord uses. Also, there will always be "flashbacks" to the good times, and even some regrets. Do as you have been doing and let God hold your hand when you can't hang onto His. It's a process, man.
Troy Robinson

Voni said...

There is something about having gone through deep grief and anguish that draws us together, especially when we know the Lord. We've learned that even though each one walks the depths of this road alone, Papa and His Spirit and Jesus keep meeting us in different ways at different points.. . and it is always a surprise and comfort. His reality IS a Triune God: a wonderful mystery!

There is a saying: Sorrow cuts the deep chasms to hold deep joy. I believe that. Many people run away from facing grief out of fear of the pain: yet it is the pain that teaches us and changes us to be more compassionate and understanding and we discover at times we are given overwhelming joy.

I learned that grief comes in all shapes and sizes: previously I didn't recognize it as grief, and denied it or ran away from it. Now, it lives within me. Time changed that huge loss into a quiet sorrow that gives me more depth ... and more understanding as I begin, once again, the steps of walking with and letting go at the same time.
The last time the gaping hole was caused by betrayal and abandonment. This time it is ill health. Totally different, thank God.

I've learned the faithfulness of God . . and I will learn more.We KNOW that our Redeemer lives - and we can hand onto His hand, as He holds ours. Isa 41:11-13

Tom, you are right on course! and please keep sharing your thoughts, for they challenge us to think, to remember, and to pray.

Love you!

Tom Wymore said...

Thanks, Troy and Voni (Stacy, too), for sharing the treasure of your own tested experience!

I am filled with awe at Papa's kindness as expressed in a million different ways to His people. And we get to stand in the kaleidoscope of His colors in one another and marvel! Wow!

Quietly broken and loudly grateful...

Tom