Thursday, June 10, 2010

Naive About Pain

     One thing the painful journey Jettie and I have been on has revealed to me is how naive I have been about pain. In my head, of course, I knew that pain is a part of life but somehow I kept thinking that it wouldn't really touch my family, my life! I suppose the American myth of a pain free life somehow crept into my psyche, but whatever the reason for this, I have had this naive assumption ripped out of my life by this recent season of testing, and now things that I had in my head are finding their way into my experience and therefore my heart.
     Most of these things, though, are too raw to try to write about. I am now more aware of what Jesus meant when He said we would have tribulation in this world, and I am also more aware of the many scriptures that speak about trouble, testing, trials, etc., but I dare not try to express what I am learning at this point--it's too fragile, too raw and needs to be further rooted in my heart and experience before I really have anything to say to others about it!
     But I do want to help head off any naivete you may have about pain in this life. How to do that? I am choosing to share a few lines from a book that has been helpful to us in our pain: A Prayer That Moves Heaven by Ron Mehl (based on the 2 Chronicles 20 story about King Jehoshapat). In the chapter entitled "Truths About Testing" Ron gives three helpful principles about testing (read "pain") that can assist us in facing the reality of the pain that will inevitably come into our lives at times. And Ron Mehl wrote from a perspective of pain (26 years of leukemia before he died from it a few years back) that gives him great authority. Consider these three simple but profound principles (from pages 27-32).
     First, Ron writes, "You can plan on tests from God. In his book The Road Less Traveled, M. Scott Peck makes this point: 'Once we truly know that life is difficult--once we truly understand and accept it--then life is no longer difficult.' It's the same with the Christian life. Scripture assures us over and over again that we will experience trials and testings in our lives--difficult circumstances allowed by the hand of our Father." TW's comment: Ouch! I don't like being reminded of this, but when I read the quote from M. Scott Peck, it drilled me to the core because I realized that I had been naive about painful stuff. No, God doesn't send it, but because this world has been given over to the destroyer, bad stuff happens to good people. Pretending otherwise doesn't help us in any shape, form or fashion!
     Second, Ron writes, "You need to prepare your heart NOW for those inevitable tests....Nobody can be completely ready for devastating news...Yet if your heart is fixed and fastened on the faithfulness of God, and if you are daily delighting in His presence, His Spirit, and His Word, those tests will not crush you. You will turn immediately to God for help...and find it!" TW's comment: My response to this is to marvel that God has indeed been preparing me/us for what we face, even when we don't know it. His gracious working in my life up to this point has indeed enabled me to seek His face, even when I was angry with Him or feeling totally lost. A few years ago, that wouldn't have been my experience. So yes, press into Him now and always, and when trouble comes you will be amazed at His provision for you.
     Third, Ron writes, "When the tests do come, focus on God's promises. In this account, that's exactly what happened. Jehoshaphat didn't weep and wail before the Lord, he zeroed in immediately on the promises of God's Word. Faith doesn't demand explanations from God, but rests on His promises." TW's comment: Yes, I know everyone says this, and it has often been used as a club on people who were in so much pain that they couldn't find any promises at the time, but there is a steadying and sustaining power that God gives as we listen for His specific promises about our situation and then meditate on these and review them often, trusting them not just because they are "in the Bible" but more importantly because of the character of the One who gave them to us. And we have certainly had a flood of promises given to us from Scripture and prophetically that God has used to shout assurance to us in the darkest times. Ron's words to folks in pain are good ones in that regard, I think: "get alone, get a promise, and get serious." Hang onto God and His promises as best you can, dear ones, and you will discover that He is hanging onto you much more tightly that you are hanging onto Him!
     Would a good God allow pain into our lives? Yes, but not for reasons any of us could understand. So I choose not to ask that question nor demand that God explain Himself. Instead I look for His fingerprints, cling to His hand and discover His hand gripping mine even when I am slipping away. I am not quite as naive about pain as I once was, I guess...

Whining at times, trusting at times, sustained all of the time.

Tom, one of Abba's children

No comments: