Friday, May 14, 2010

The Other Side of Collapse: Chasing Jesus

Last week I wrote about faith as collapse, and this week's entry may sound like I am contradicting myself, but I'm not--honest! Faith is not something that can be described with one or two metaphors because trust is not a commodity but a living thing that grows in us as we get to know the one we are trusting. So there is a part of faith that is resting trust and collapse. There is another part of faith that pursues God because we know He is good and generous and loving and...

So this week as the battle for Jettie's health heats up even more, I have thought a lot about the people in the Gospels who chased Jesus and pursued Him until He met their need. There are many examples, of course, but some that God has raised up especially are Bartimaeus (see Mark 10:46-52 and Luke 18:35-43), the Syro-Phoenician woman (Mark 7:24-30 and Matthew 15:21-28, ), the woman with the issue of blood (Matthew 9:20-22, Mark 5:25-33 and Luke 8:43-48) and the Gadarene demoniac (Mark 5:1-20 and Luke 8:26-39). What strikes me about each of these individuals is their persistence in pursuing Jesus in the face of opposition or obstacles. Each of them knew that "If I can just get to Jesus, I will be healed." In fact, the woman with the issue of blood essentially said that, "If only I may touch His clothes I shall be made well." (Mark 5:28 NKJV), so she pressed through the crowds (despite being "unclean" because of her issue of blood), even interrupting Jesus on an urgent mission, in order to touch the edge of His robe! Bartimaeus also faced opposition as He pursued Jesus with those around him warning him to be quiet. But Bartimaeus shouted all the louder until He captured Jesus' attention. The Syro-Phoenician woman is really amazing in her pursuit: even Jesus (to draw out her faith) put her off, but she wouldn't give up until He granted her request. But perhaps the most amazing one of all in this group is the Gadarene demoniac. Both Mark and Luke tell us that this man dragged his many demons along with him to run to meet Jesus (Mark even says he worshiped Jesus!). Can you imagine the level of satanic opposition this man had to overcome to get to Jesus??? Amazing!

I see in all of these stories an encouragement to pursue Jesus until He grants what we need. Yes, theologically I know that as believers Jesus is already with us, in us and we in Him, but there is also a coming to Him that, however you wish to describe it, brings the powerful response of healing that we need. Each of these people pushed past obstacles and opposition (human and demonic) to chase Jesus until they received healing/deliverance. But I wonder how many others in Jesus' day didn't chase Him? It seems to me that even back then there were many folks like those who urge us to be "realistic" about things like sickness and disease. They are the ones who didn't see the miracles because they stop chasing the One who would have readily granted it (Jesus never turned away anyone who sought healing from Him).

So here I am, collapsing and pursuing. Others may suggest a more "realistic" view of things, but the last time I checked miracles come to those who don't give up their pursuit of the One who loves to do them!

Pursuing Him,

Tom, one of Abba's children

2 comments:

Terry not God said...

Amen Tom. You go brother. You chase and you chase hard. You press in and push through. You don't grow weary, but trust in Him who does all things. We will continue to pray for you.
Terry

Carol said...

Thank you Tom! I really needed this today. The last few days have been "hopeless" for me. God is faithful to give me encouragement through your words. Carol