Thursday, October 8, 2009

Imitate or Follow?

One of the most arresting discoveries God has led me into over these past few years is the lack of conversation in the New Testament about leadership. With all the emphasis in the western church on leadership, one would expect to find discussions about leadership on every page of the New Testament. But that is simply not the case. Apart from Jesus' defining leadership as slavery (not just serving), there is very little mention of "leaders" in the New Testament. (Leadership is simply one gift among others mentioned in Romans 12). In fact, as far as I know, Jesus alone specifically invited people to follow Him, and it appears that the early believers (healthy ones at least) did not think of themselves of followers of anyone except Jesus (the immature and carnal believers in Corinth being the glaring exception).

I could suggest many reasons why the NT doesn't emphasize leadership, but others have done a better job of that than I could ever do (check out Wayne Jacobsen's stuff at www.lifestream.org). I will say, though, that I strongly believe that the main problem with emphasizing leaders/leadership is that it subtly pulls people away from dependence upon the only One whom we are to follow. Anything that creates dependence upon me rather than Jesus is working contrary to the purposes of God and your needing to follow me creates that kind of dependence. (Yes, I know that many will disagree with me on this, but it's an uphill battle to win that argument.)

On the other hand, there is an emphasis in the New Testament upon living a life that is to be "imitated." Not only does the Apostle Paul plainly say this in 1 Corinthians 11:1 "Imitate me as I imitate Christ," his writings are filled with references to his life as an example ("You know how ... and check out 1 Corinthians 4:16-17!).

I think you can see how following my example or allowing the impact of how I live my life in Jesus to shape you is very different from "following me as a leader." The first is an invitation into my life that allows you to see life in Jesus lived out with an authenticity that doesn't create dependence upon me but does create hope in you that this Jesus life is possible. But the second, "follow me," creates dependence upon me, diminishing your felt need to hear God for yourself, and it also allows for pretense because I can lead folks to a lot of places without allowing them into my life!

This brings me to the questions I like to ask those who are called "leaders." First, if someone were to live with you 24/7, having access even to your thought life, would they want to be like you? Second, if not, why not, given the emphasis upon modeling in the New Testament? Note that saying "yes" to the first question doesn't imply the need for perfection, just authenticity and a genuine conformity of one's life to the leadership of Jesus by His Spirit. Neither does it imply superiority or better anything, just the fact that one has been living the life of dependence upon Jesus in a way that can be seen. Neither do I mean anything that smacks of self-effort. Review my first few entries on "Be Like Jesus" in the blog (2007) to catch my heart in how we become people others can imitate (and/or read books like Grace Walk or True Faced, etc.)

May God deliver us from "leaders" and grant us instead servants (slaves, really) whose lives we can enter and whom we will want to imitate as they imitate Jesus.

Tom, one of Abba's children




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tom, for the reminder about our thought life. I still fail in my thought life too!

Here is one of my most recent failures and how the Lord corrected me concerning my thought life. A few days ago I was hesitant about an old relationship I had, and who has recently come back into my life. I spent a good part of 10 years pouring myself into an individual but he failed to commit to true Spirit-led relational discipleship and accountability. His failure to count the cost of following Jesus, led to drug and alcohol addictions, jail, two failed marriages, and is now married for a third time. He considers me his best friend and you know the straight shooter I am calling them like I see them of course I try to do it gently.

He was to stand with me at my wedding we had a tuxedo for him, but because he wasn’t the best man he failed to show up. He stayed with my wife and me for awhile after we were first married. He failed to be there and support me while we were youth pastoring. He wasn’t around for the birth of my first born miracle son and did not even know about the seriousness of the situation.

We were sent out as church planters and he and his first wife came to live with us for a while, before they got their own place. He failed to support me in my church planting endeavors and shortly moved out of the area. He missed the ordeal with my second born miracle son too. Eventually, he is back in my life asking me to be his best man at his second wedding and I proceeded to tell him why I could not and made him angry in 2003 and spoke to him once after that in 2003.

He looked me up in August, and we have got together a few times and he is very much the same. He has only been walking with the Lord for about 8 months and knows nothing of accountability. This led to sharing my apprehensions concerning wasting my time and how I didn’t want waste my time again pouring my heart, emotions, energy, time and money into him. My thoughts and my words were not His thoughts and of course, Jennifer corrected me and told me straight being the prophetic individual she is and prayed for me!

The Lord gave me 1 Cor. 15:58, “ Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.” My labor in the Lord was not, is not, and will not be in vain! I stand corrected and I thank you Lord for correcting me, please continue to remove any blinders I may have!

I will continue to show him and others similar to him the love of Jesus regardless of their not recognizing His love knowing my labor in the Lord is not in vain. King Jesus just reminded me of the His words in Matthew 25:40,”And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.”

His slave and nothing,

Jeff