Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Do I Know How to Pray?

Events over the past several months, perhaps even longer, have made me realize that even at age 59 I don't seem to know very much at all about prayer as it was practiced by Jesus and the early believers. How, for example, do we pray the "prayer of faith" described in James 5:15? This is the prayer that always heals the sick person according to James. And how is living in the continual awareness of God's presence related to prayer? These and other questions have been on my heart for quite some time now. Today, I want to again draw back the curtain on my life and share with you some of what I have been learning, looking first at what I am beginning to see about the prayer of faith and then at some of my recent lessons about Presence and prayer (from my journal).

I am sure I am not the only one who has puzzled over why we don't see what James describes in chapter 5 happening much today. I still don't have lots of answers, but here's some beginning thoughts that have come to me as I have re-wrestled with James 5:14-18. The "prayer of faith" is:
  1. Communal. It is prayed by the elders of the community of faith. This seems important for a number of reasons.
  2. Prayed by mature believers (those recognized by all as elders).
  3. Prayed by righteous believers. This doesn't merely mean those who have been declared righteous through Jesus. No, in the context of the book of James, "righteous" clearly means those whose hearts are fully set on doing the will of God faithfully and completely. Big thought here...Andrew Murray suggests that only those are living for the will of God can truly pray according to the will of God.
  4. Prayed in faith. This seems obvious, but James attaching this to Elijah's life raises the bar to a level of confidence in God's character and power that reminds me of what Jesus said in Mark 11:22-24 22 Jesus answered them, “Be having faith (trusting) in God. 23 Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his/her heart, but is believing that what s/he is saying is happening, it will be done for her/him. 24 So I tell you, whatever you are praying and asking for, be trusting that you received it, and it will be yours. (TW's literal translation)
There's clearly more to ponder here, and I will share more as it comes, but I wanted to put this out there for you to respond to if you wish. Now let me take you on a journey into my heart as Papa and I have dialogued over the past few months about prayer. Again, this is lifted from my journal.
==========
From July 3, 2008.
Abba Pai, you know all things, so you know that I have concerns and questions this morning about my call to intercession. It seems as if I get too long of a list, I tend to make the prayers more routine and obligatory, yet those on the daily list are my dear friends and worthy and needful of serious, focused prayer. I also wonder if I am at times too casual in my approach to this time. Obviously, I have no answers to any of this, but my heart longs to enter in to this next season of growth for the sake of those I love and for the sake of the church and the very broken world around me. "I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in His Word I put my hope!”

Abba, one thought that comes to me as I reflect on this is that I have tended to fall back into the information-orientation that is so common to the western church rather than take the time to meditate and put into the practice the things I have been learning from you about prayer (via Andrew Murray and others). Perhaps now is the time for me to pause and reflect and allow you to plant into my heart and my lifestyle these truths. Again, Papa, I choose not to live in condemnation but I also present myself afresh to you. I wait for you…

“Have you noticed, child, that the theme of your life has been for quite some time, ‘Teach me to pray’? Have you noticed how desire to learn and practice this has increased? I am answering your prayer! And I am bringing you into the fulfillment of the Acts 6 lifestyle. Look how even the Robert Whitlow books are now highlighting prayer. So you are on track, child, and I will indeed help you press in harder. Get ready!”

Abba Pai, as I read Andrew Murray this morning (With Christ in the School of Prayer, p. 26), I become aware of how “religious” I still am. So often in my weakness I return to a self focused, self-condemning, performance-oriented mindset. Yet light dawns as I read Murray's words. And I am once again brought back to the original call and light of the Secret Place! No wonder you had me bring out the “treasure rock” a while back; no wonder you keep bringing me to Brother Lawrence; no wonder I hear Keith Green’s song in my head (Make my life a prayer to you). Ah, Father…

Abba, as I put together Andrew Murray and Brother Lawrence today, a few especially clear thoughts rise to the top. First, your Presence—living in it, praying in it—is everything. Second, surrender and childlike faith are the keys to this, along with the exercise of my will (as Brother Lawrence describes). Third, prayers should be short, not drawn out (Brother Lawrence, p. 46—see also Matthew 6:7-8). Ah, Father, if I will just let you lead!!

Abba, it really is as simple as what you told me at the beginning isn’t it? If I will simply choose to wait, do whatever it takes, to get to the place where I become fully aware (by experience) of your presence and then stay there, everything else falls into place. Wow—why do I have such a hard time living this out? But I trust you to transform me more and more.
==========

Hmmm. I was going to add another entry (from October 11) but I will post that one next week. I think this is long enough already and probably has enough for you to ponder. I hope my transparency will encourage you in some way to ponder your own praying. And perhaps some of you will add your insights so that we can learn in community what it means to pray as Jesus and His followers did.

Still very much learning....

Tom, Abba's little boy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This made me think of the part of the Matthew video where Jesus has just calmed the storm and as he laughs heartily He says "oh you of little faith."
I only lnow He laughs for us as well for He knows we have little faith but knows He is faith-full!