Saturday, December 22, 2012

A Wonder And A Marvel

     I have always believed "Season of Wonder" to be one of the very best descriptions of Christmas. I have been captured by the marvel of the incarnation for as long as I can remember. Perhaps that's why the Christmas passages most often heard by my sons when they were little were John 1:1-18 and Philippians 2:5-11. Yes, we occasionally would read the other Christmas passages, but these two "incarnation passages: were, I think, the most popular by far, even with my sons.
     My sons caught the wonder and marvel in the same way their father did. I cannot describe the joy that I have as a dad to see how well my sons "caught" that same wonder! Josh even wrote a song about it a few years back, entitled "Wonder." The words to his song capture many of the high points of this amazing season, so I paste them here in the hope that they will help you to catch the wonder. You can also download a somewhat quality MP3 of a recent remix the song by going here. Or you can purchase a newer version on most music outlets like iTunes, etc. Just search for Josh Wymore (or "Wonder").

Wonder
© copyright by Josh Wymore.
Wonder of wonders: eternity entered time.
Marvel of marvels: the Word became flesh.
And I wonder, and I marvel how he came and dwelt among his own.
And I wonder, and I marvel how his own knew him not.
Wonder of wonders: majesty clothed with humility.
Marvel of marvels: the Word became flesh.

And I wonder, and I marvel that the light stepped into the darkness.
And I wonder, and I marvel that men loved the darkness instead of the light.
Wonder of wonders: God the Son became the Son of Man.
Marvel of marvels: the Word became flesh.

And I wonder, and I marvel that he came not to condemn but to save.
And I wonder, and I marvel that he made those who received him the very children of God.

And I wonder, and I marvel how the light broke through into the darkness.
And I glory, and I glory that the darkness could not overcome the light!

Wonder of wonders.
Marvel of marvels.
Glory of glories.
That God became a man.

Lost in the wonder of Emmanuel,

Tom, one of Papa's wonder-filled children

No comments: