Friday, August 10, 2012

How Different Our Weapons: Patient Endurance

     I was going to write this week about love as one of our truly unique weapons, but in the context of researching love, I had a small but important epiphany about how I have been rather skewed in my understanding of God's love, and this epiphany led to today's topic.
     As I read the remarkable passage in Romans 8:31-39, particularly vv. 35-39, I realized that the common American Christian assumption about God's love needs some adjustment. In verses 35-37 Paul speaks of the permanence and unshakeable nature of God's love for in Christ against a background of "tribulation, distress, persecution, famine, nakedness, danger and sword." It occurred to me that I for one, tend to assume that when tribulation comes it's an indication that God doesn't love me. This is clearly not the case, as we all realize once we get past our assumption that the American Dream (freedom from pain, pursuit of happiness, etc.) is not God's idea of Kingdom life! Paul was writing to people who, like 40-50% of today's believers, were facing these very things. And since Paul clearly states that God's love is what enables folks facing these things to be more than conquerors, it's obvious that these things aren't indicators of God's love or lack thereof. Rather God's love supersedes, overwhelms, overshadows everything in all of Creation, no matter what circumstances it has to go through to reach us.
     And this brings me to the weapon of endurance. If indeed we will have tribulation in this life as Jesus promised His followers in John 16:33, then we will have need of "patient endurance" (a term from the book of Revelation). And as we consider this weapon, we see how truly powerful it is. Nothing defeats the enemy's attempts to wear down the saints like the saints refusal to be worn down!
     Even in the natural world we see the fruit and reward of endurance (I write these words against the abundant illustrations of this seen in the 30th Olympics!). But in the Kingdom of God, patient endurance is taken to superhuman levels and frequently strikes a death blow to our adversary's plans. 
     But how does one endure? This is a huge topic, far too large and broad to do anything here but give the lightest of treatments. There are so many passages in the Bible that relate to this, one could easily write several books on "How to Endure through Christ." So I offer only the barest of first thoughts. But consider the following simple thoughts.
     Person not principle. Although it's wonderful to sing about "Standing on the Promises," the real secret of patient endurance is to realize and remember WHO is standing with us. "Long-suffering" and "faithfulness" (both related to endurance) are part of the fruit of a Spirit-infused, Spirit-led life. We endure because God is with us, for us and in us and because His love cannot be stopped by anything. At least that's what my Bible says. So when I start to waver, I run to Papa rather than just try to stand on a promise. Yes, I do remember the promises, I do quote Scripture, but I do so not to "make me stand" but to remember that God is standing inside of and with me. 
     Perspective. We endure better when we remember to take the longer view. This longer view has two parts to it. One is the longer view of things in this life. God is working all things, even in this life, for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. We know that, of course, but it's easy to forget or not even believe in the heat of battle (I know that one from experience). But God's grace enables us to hold onto this perspective. It helps me at times to see how God's timing works in all of this, too. I am quite sure that Joseph called out to God many, many times for deliverance from slavery and then from the prison, but God knew that Joseph would achieve his destiny only at the time Pharaoh had the dream. An earlier deliverance would have messed up the plan! And then there's that mysterious eternal perspective whereby we know that in some way beyond our understanding God will redeem everything, make all things new, etc. 2 Corinthians 4:17 comes to mind along with many other verses. But I don't think we really get this one very well. Even though our life on earth is but a pinpoint in God's eternal destiny for us, we tend to think that now is forever, eh? But the longer view, enabled by God, is essential to exercising the weapon of endurance. Try it, you will like it!
     Perseverance. Sometimes we just have to hold on to the One who is holding onto us and stand firm in the power of His might (Ephesians 6:10-20). And God doesn't leave us in a vacuum as we do this. Joseph wasn't alone in Potiphar's house nor in the prison. "The LORD was with Joseph" is a resounding theme throughout Joseph's story, and I now know it means that Joseph knew by experience that God was with him. That same experience is even more true for us in whom God dwells! Most of you will know that I write this from personal experience. During the painful journey in 2009-2010 there was never one time that I didn't know, usually but not always by experience, that Father was holding onto me with His strong right hand. And whenever I would quiet myself, turn away from the loud voices of fear and anxiety, I could hear Him. And when those voices were too loud for me to handle, Papa would send a friend. But yes, there were times (and still are) when I stand in the dark, knowing by something deeper than experience, that He is here. I know He will do that for all of us, dear ones. And O how I wish I could write more about this, but I must stop for now.
     This is but the barest of scratches on the surface, I think, but I hope you can see that our trusting response to God as we are embraced in His love and infused with His power enable us to remember to lean upon Him, rest in His perspective, stand when only His power enables us to do so. And when we do, we leave our adversary confused and defeated. One of his favorites strategies goes down in flames (pun intended) when God's people patiently endure.

Standing because He stands in me,

Tom, one of Abba's little children

No comments: