Saturday, January 14, 2012

Please Don't MOGWOG Me!

     "What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? They are servants through whom you believed, and each has the role the Lord has given. I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth." (1 Corinthians 3:5-7 HCSB).
     For reasons not entirely clear to me, Christians universally seem to have a tendency to MOGWOG those who serve them (Man Of God, Woman Of God). That is, they place them on a pedestal and give them undue honor (there is, of course, a place for honoring folks, but not in the way that places them in a superior position in one's mind, hence my use of "undue." See Danny Silk's Culture of Honor for more.).
     There are so many dangers in this tendency to MOGWOG people that I don't know where to begin, so let me simply list a few and trust the Holy Spirit to bring you whatever insight you personally need from these thoughts. Here we go.
  1. MOGWOGing people leads to our dividing from others who choose to MOGWOG someone else. This is Paul's major concern in the first part of the 1 Corinthian letter. Whenever we exalt a person we inevitably set ourselves up to not esteem others, and in typical human fashion we end up "choosing sides" based on whom we MOGWOG. See Paul's horror at this in 1 Corinthians 1:10-17, and the first part of his answer to it in verses 18-31 of the same chapter (he reminds the Corinthians of God's supremacy, of the frailty of all humans, of the remarkable "equalizing effect" of the Gospel, etc.)
  2. MOGWOGing people also causes us to miss what someone else may have to contribute to our life. We see this a lot, don't we? It's seen in the long prayer line in front of the "mighty Man of God/Woman of God." It's seen in people choosing to read only from a few select sources, etc. How sad to miss a treasure simply because it came through someone not recognized as a MOGWOG! And how contrary to how Jesus wants His Body to function when it's the Holy Spirit who distributes through whomever He wishes for the common good (including many whom others may not "exalt" as a MOG or WOG). I could write pages on this, but for now, take a look at 1 Corinthians 12 and see if you get what I am hinting at.
  3. MOGWOGing people can lead to personal discouragement in our own spiritual life. When I designate someone as a "mighty Man/Woman of God" I either imply that they are exceptional in some way and have by their own efforts achieved some sort of elite status that most people cannot attain, or I imply that God has somehow shown them special favor not available to others. I don't know about you, but for me this is discouraging! I look at the few abilities and life experiences I have and think, "Well, I guess I can never really amount to much, since I am not like MOGWOG over there." 
  4. MOGWOGing people can also lead to our depending upon the MOGWOG instead of Papa God. This is a big one, I think, and one that keeps folks stunted in their spiritual growth (perhaps that's what Paul was getting at in the verses above, eh?). If we think a MOGWOG has a special inroad into God's favor or a special elite ability to hear God better than most, it's almost inevitable that we would take the spiritual and emotional shortcut of looking to the MOGWOG for that which Holy Spirit wants to supply to us through our own exercise of taking the time and discipline needed to hear/see it. 
  5. MOGWOGing people is not good for the person we are MOGWOGing! Not that this is a big issue for an obscure person like me, but please don't MOGWOG me! I struggle enough with the tendency to pride (born out of insecurities waiting to be healed and an insufficient view of Papa's love). I don't need your "help" through your thinking I am special. Yes, encourage me, love me, forgive me, rejoice with me at what Papa's grace does in and through me, but don't MOGWOG me or anyone else you love. I really do want to be just Abba's little boy, and it's struggle enough to stay there without fighting of the misguided accolades of those who need to MOGWOG someone. (But you are forgiven if you have done so! :-).
     Okay, so this is sort of tongue in cheek today. But please catch my heart and what I trust Papa wants to say to you through these simple thoughts. Maybe I will write more later, but for now, may there be many brothers and sisters in Jesus in your life, and yes, even a few mothers and fathers, but no MOGWOGs!

Slipping off the pedestal....

Tom, One of Abba's little boys

No comments: