Friday, July 30, 2010

The Real Battle

From my journal this morning: "As I peeked at some of my blogs ("What is God Like," parts 1-2, November 2009), I realized once again that the battle almost always seems to center on who you really are and what you are really like. And the image most folks have of you virtually guarantees that they will struggle to trust you. No wonder the enemy works so hard to obscure your love and kindness!

The long battle Jettie and I have been in and are still in has made the simple things of the God journey more and more clear to me, I think. And the battle for God's character has been at the center of much I am learning. Is He really good? If He is, then I can trust Him even when I don't understand things around me ("LORD, those who know you will trust in you." Psalm 9:10 NIRV) . But if He is like what many people think He is like, who can really trust Him? And without growing trust, how can we fulfill our destiny which is to be in relationship with Him forever? Bottom line for me of late is that I am realizing that I desperately need Father God to be showing me who He really is and where my perception of Him is still faulty. The frequent plea in scripture, "Show me your ways" therefore has taken on new meaning. It is a cry to know what God is like, not a request for direction!

As I have pondered this, I remembered that section in The Shack where Mack is with Sophia (Wisdom) for "judgment." I pick up the dialog starting on page 161.
"You must choose two of your children to spend eternity in God's new heavens and new earth, but only two."
"What?" He erupted, turning to her in disbelief.
"And you must choose three of your children to spend eternity in hell."
Mack couldn't believe what he was hearing and started to panic.
"Mackenzie...I am only asking you to do something you believe God does."

This dialog continues for quite some time, but in the end Mack begs to be sent to hell in place of his children. It is there, of course, that "the lights come on." Sophia commends Mack for sounding like Jesus and for judging well. When Mack says that he hasn't judged anything, Sophia's answer is riveting and revealing: "Oh, but you have. You have judged them worthy of love, even if it costs you everything. That is how Jesus loves."

Can you trust a God like that? Who demonstrated His love to us while we were still rebels (Romans 5:8); who loves and blesses even His enemies (Matthew 5:44-45); who readily forgives wickedness, rebellion and sin (Exodus 34:7a)? In the earlier blogs I referenced at the top I noted that God is like what He desires for us to be like (only perfect), so the sections on love, fruit of the Spirit, showing mercy and grace, etc., are pale but accurate reflections of His goodness. (God is loving, joyful, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle and self-controlled!). Yes, we can trust One who is like that!

"So...whenever trust begins to erode in me, Father, please once again 'Show me your ways.' Anything that suggests that you are cruel, vindictive, delighting in evil, unkind, etc., is a lie stirred up by the evil one who hates you and us with never-ending malice! Ah, Papa. This world (and my world right now) is filled with things that would make me question your goodness, and I would be easily led there except that in your goodness you are holding onto me and pursuing me with unspeakably great kindness and love! Thank you, my Abba!"

Tom, one of Abba's little children

1 comment:

Linda E. Pruitt said...

Today I, again, came to an amazing decision, before I read this post.

It went like this: no matter how I 'feel' or what I am 'tempted' to believe, I cannot deny my faith in God. The enemy is constantly trying to get me to relinquish my faith, but I am discovering that God has transformed me and that the 'warp and woof' of my being is built upon trusting God. Sure, I doubt myself sometimes, but God comes alongside in times of situational unsureness on my part and helps me to understand that He is there and I, again, realize that I cannot deny him. That is, literally the point that I choose to trust Him. (I can do all things --not in my own strength, but-- thru Christ who strengthens me.)

Thanks for your post, Tom, and for your thoughts