Thursday, April 15, 2010

Quotable quotes

Many of you may know that George MacDonald, Scottish author (and clergyman), was very influential in the lives of prominent Christian authors, C.S. Lewis, G.K. Chesterton and J.R.R. Tolkein. I have known this, too, for quite some time and since these authors have deeply influenced me, I thought it was about time to read some MacDonald for myself. When I found the complete works of this author available for free in a Kindle version, I knew my time had come.

I have discovered a treasure chest of wonder as I have worked through a number of his novels. The man was incredibly ahead of his time in terms of truly catching the heart of God. In contrast to the dark, oppressive, repressive and negative extreme Calvinism in Scotland at the time, George MacDonald revealed a God of love and kindness who revealed Himself joyfully in all of creation and who pursued every single person on the planet with goodness and mercy. And since my week has been quite strenuous, I thought it wise to share someone else's treasure rather than trying to find any of my own! Consider the following quotes and see what you think.

First, some thoughts from Annals of a Quiet Neighborhood. (an Anglican vicar's memoirs of early years in his parish).
"If I can put one touch of a rosy sunset into the life of any man or woman of my cure, I shall feel that I have worked with God." (Think about this!)
"People talk about special providences. I believe in the providences, but not the specialty. I do not believe that God lets the thread of my affairs go for six days, and the seventh evening takes it up for a moment. The so-called special providences are no exception to the rule--they are common to all men at all moments. But it is a fact that God's care is more evident in some instances than in others to the dim and often bewildered vision of humanity. Upon such instances men seize and call them providences. It is well that they can, but it would be gloriously better if they could believe that the whole matter is one grand providence." (a providence is a gracious act of God, particularly related to His provision. MacDonald believed that all of life was one continuing stream of God's gracious acts).

And I love this dialogue later in the same book.
"telling his flock that God loves them, and that they will never be happy until they believe it."
"They may believe that too soon."
"I don't believe anyone can believe the truth too soon."

And just one more (I have hundreds marked!)
"Until we love the Lord so as to do what He tells us, we have no right to an opinion about what one of those men meant (TW note: the authors of the books of the Bible, especially the NT); for all they wrote is about things beyond us. The simplest woman who tries not to judge her neighbor, or not to be anxious for the morrow, will better know what is best to know, than the best read bishop without that one simple outgoing of his highest nature in the effort to do the will of Him who thus spoke."

I am not sure that these even begin to capture the wonder you can find in this man's works, and I recognize that his writing style is quite challenging for many in our "instant" world, but perhaps you of childlike heart will have your appetite's whetted for more. MacDonald "claimed to have written for the 'childlike,' both young and old." (Listening to the Heartbeat of God by Philip Newell, p. 61). Perhaps you share in that childlikeness and will with me and many others catch the wonder in moment, in the ordinary, and in the others around you. I have found that authors like MacDonald help me to do so.

Pausing to wonder in the midst of pain,

Tom, one of Abba's little children

No comments: