Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Childlike Wonder

She sat with her mommy on the front row in the lecture hall where I was speaking on intimacy with Jesus, a precious little seven year old girl who had known much sadness and trauma. Her mommy had returned to the Lord with great zeal a while back, but not before this little child had experienced many father wounds and other types of pain. Yet there she sat, peacefully and quietly coloring while I spoke. I could hear her softly whispering, perhaps at times singing to her mommy (it was so cute!).

Then right in the middle of my sharing, I felt strongly led to share a quote from the brilliant German theologian, Karl Barth. I told the story of how one time when someone had asked him how he would summarize all of his great theological work he had replied, "Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so." As I finished sharing this story, the little girl's face suddenly lit up with wonder and joy, so much so that I asked her mommy what was going on. To the amazement of the entire class, her mommy said that at the same moment that I quoted Karl Barth her little girl was singing "Jesus loves me"!

As we heard this, all of us became deeply aware that God was incredibly present, and we were drawn into a wonderful moment of basking in God's Father love. We may have even sung the song--I can't remember for sure, but I remember the weight of God's presence filling the room with His goodness.

Later, as I reflected on that remarkable moment, I told God how grateful I was for confirming what I was teaching about His love. Thereafter followed one of those gentle but life-changing corrections from Papa! He said simply, "I didn't do that for you, Tom, nor for the class. I did it for the little girl!" And then I understood...and I wept and I worshiped...

Do you understand?

Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them. Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there. (Matthew 19:13-15)

He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:2-4)

Tom, one of Abba's little children

No comments: