Monday, June 23, 2008

Some Unrelated, Unrefined Thoughts

We were on vacation last week, so I didn't get anything posted. But I wanted to share three "raw" and somewhat unrelated thoughts from recent my history with God.

First, my young (to me) friend in Las Vegas, Scott, in a response to one of my posts mentioned a book by Frank C. Laubach called Letters by a Modern Mystic. I sensed that I was supposed to read that book while on vacation, and I am glad that I did. Frank Laubach seems to describe as well as any I have ever read what it's been like for me to be on this "Secret Place Journey." Here's one brief quote to give you a sample: "How infinitely richer this firsthand grasping of God Himself is than the old method which I used and recommended for years, the reading of endless devotional books. Almost it seems to me now that the very Bible cannot be read as a substitute for meeting God soul to soul and face to face." (p. 18)

Now here's a raw thought that came to me on May 13. I welcome your comments.
I wonder if people gravitate towards public ministry because it's so much easier. It requires so much less of us. All it really requires is "anointing." But making disciples, allowing people into our lives and walking deeply with them requires a great deal more! It requires a great deal more maturity and change on our part, and it requires a great deal more of us in general. Public ministry has its place, but those who gravitate towards it without allowing room for making disciples are missing with how Jesus and his apostles functioned. Yet in our culture this is exactly what has happened and the results are evident, I think.

Here's another one from May 23. Your thoughts?
Why is it so important for leaders to be broken and weak as Paul describes in 2 Corinthians? It is far too common in the church for leaders to appear to be confident, competent and really in charge, etc. But since the Kingdom is about God's competence and the Kingdom is about example and modeling, it's very important for those of us who "lead" to be broken and weak, so that anyone and everyone--the everyday person so to speak, does not get discouraged by what they see in us. If we model brokenness, weakness and humility, we show them something anyone can relate to and aspire to. If on the other hand we appear to be superhuman in all of our abilities, etc., then most people will look at the Christian life as unattainable.

That's it for this time. I welcome your thoughts!

Stay lost in His love,

Tom, the least of Abba's children

2 comments:

Scott Linklater said...

Broken people listen - they have nothing else. I have never been more broken that I have in the last year as "the more I see, the less I know" becomes reality, and all my paradigms become sporting clays on God’s shooting range.

Brokenness is ironic in that I wouldn't wish it on someone, but I wouldn't trade it for anything either - it has an unfamiliar, unique peace attached to it that I don’t understand. When I'm really broken I sense that I am open to hearing God on things that, before, I was pretty sure I had taken care of on my own (not that I would have said or admitted that, but it's the truth).

Tom Wymore said...

Wow! Well stated Scott. There is a genuineness in your words that only one who is truly broken (and being broken) can say.

Thank you for your transparency and your tenderness before God and your brothers and sisters.

Tom, becoming ever more childlike, ever less competent!