Saturday, March 15, 2008

How ever will we learn to get along!!

First, for those who want to read more on how "safe and healthy" The Shack is, please check out Wayne's Jacobsen's thoughts on his blog. Wayne was intimately involved in the birthing of this book, and his words will further confirm how unfounded the fears about it that some are generating or feeling. You can get to Wayne's article on this topic by clicking here.

Now for my thoughts. This week my heart was grieved by the struggle of some who are close to me to come to the place of unity and relational depth that God desires for us as His people. Because part of my wiring is that of a peacemaker, I immediately wanted to fix things. I have also been pondering a lot lately about how we really can come to live in harmony with one another in a way that reflects Jesus' New Commandment. As I was reflecting on all this in Papa's presence, He showed me the following.

First, He showed me that my prayers for peace were not "listening prayers" but anxiety-filled attempts to fix things because of my own distaste for conflict and fear that things wouldn't be resolved. Ouch! Then, as if that weren't enough, He suggested that I check my motives as I was praying. Was I praying for my friends because of pure love for them or because of my own desire to be free from a point of concern? Ouch again! But I am happy to report that I did find some love for my friends in the mix of motives! But the bottom line is that only those who "live loved," those who are truly trusting in and experiencing Papa's love for them, are really able to love others in a way that is truly like Him. (By the way, when God shows me this kind of stuff, He is remarkably kind and encouraging--I never feel discouraged or punished, just lovingly adjusted! If His correction to you feels otherwise, you may want to check to be sure it is He and not someone else doing the talking!).

Then, just in case I didn't quite get the message, He led me to "accidentally" read an old journal entry. The following is lifted from last year's journal.
I see in Philippians 2 that all the good stuff: our amazing blessings in you, are listed before Paul's admonition about unity. Wow, wow! We know, Lord Jesus, that you knew by experience, without a doubt, that Abba loved you and could be trusted completely, that is how you were able to serve and pour out your life. But we think that we must somehow be different for us, that we must do this apart from this experiential knowledge of Father's goodness! Big thought!
I had always thought and taught that unity comes from humility -- but now I see that this is only partially true. The basis of Paul's appeal is not humility but everything we have in You! Both unity and humility flow from this amazing and continuing experience of your love and blessing.


Just some rambling thoughts, I guess, but maybe they will be of some use to you. I close with this quote from So You Don't Want to Go To Church Anymore that underscores the same thought (page 75): "Until you learn how to trust God for everything in your life you will constantly seek to control others for the things you think you need." Hmmm, after reading that one I find myself asking Papa often, "Okay, Father, what am I not trusting you for that is causing me to push on this person?"

Just some thoughts. May Papa God keep pursuing us with His love until we learn truly how to love and finally "get along"!

Learning along with you,

Tom, the least of Abba's children



No comments: