Thursday, January 3, 2008

Are You Obeying This Command from Jesus?

I think we all know that obedience to God brings blessing and is always best for us, right? After all, it's rather silly for us to disregard instruction from the One who loves us more than we love ourselves and who knows everything! And the Bible clearly tells us that obedience is always for our good (even when it's hard!)--take a peek at Deuteronomy 6:1-3, Psalm 1:1-3, John 14:21-23, for just a few examples (Psalm 119:165 in the NLT is good, too! "Those who love your instructions have great peace and do not stumble.")

But check out this command from Jesus! A dear friend of mine pointed out John 15:7 from the Wuest Translation of the New Testament a while back, and it has stuck with me ever since (Thanks, Tony!). John 15:7 in that translation reads: "If you maintain a living communion with me and my words are at home in you, I command you to ask, at once, something for yourself, whatever your heart desires, and it will be yours."

When I first heard this rendering, I was taken aback and fearful that taking it seriously would lead to selfish indulgence, but I now realize that I was missing the point. Jesus qualified His command to "ask" with the first part of what He said. Those who are in intimate relationship with Him and who have truly made room in their hearts for His word can trust the desires of their hearts! Indeed, those who are intimate with Jesus have discovered that intimacy with Him both enables and compels obedience to all of Jesus' commands, including this one.

As I pondered my heart's desires in light of this verse, I found that my heart's desires are indeed good and worthy of bringing to God. Even "something for myself" has been shaped by living in increasing awareness of His presence: what I desire most is simply more of Him, more of His love and power in my life so that I can honor Him and bring His love and power in increasing measure to all whom I meet. Yes, I can obey this command without fear of self indulgence, I think. And so can you.

This isn't the only place where we are commanded to ask, of course. You may want to read the entire "Upper Room Discourse" (John 13-16). You will be amazed at how many times Jesus commands his disciples to ask and at the context in which He gives the command. Matthew 7:7-11 also comes to mind, along with other passages. Clearly, we are to be a childlike, asking people!

So think about it carefully, please. Are you obeying Jesus' command to ask? What if He really meant it? What if it's as simple as it seems? What if even learning to obey is something we can ask for? Much to ponder here...

I think I am finished writing on the topic of obedience for a while, but God alone knows. Regardless, again I highly recommend Bethany House's version of Andrew Murray's classic work on obedience, A Life of Obedience. You will find in this man's writing much better thinking and writing than I can produce!

Until my next post, I pray that the overpowering goodness and trustworthiness of God will cause instantaneous and complete obedience in your life to be the first and most natural response to every nudging of His Spirit!

Tom, the least of Abba's children

No comments: