Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"Wigglesworthisms" on Obedience

I was on vacation last week, and I am swamped this week, but I wanted to post one more blog in November. My being pressed for time guarantees that this one will be quite brief (hurrah!).

For this post, I wanted to continue the theme of obedience by introducing you to another book, The Wigglesworth Standard, by Peter Madden. This book is based on a collection of previously unpublished messages by Smith Wigglesworth, and it is priceless for those of us who look to Smith W. as a mentor. Below are a few "Wigglesworthisms" on obedience from the chapter entitled, "Lord, what do you want me to do?"

The place of yieldedness is just where God wants us. People are saying, "I want the Baptism. I want healing. I would like to know of a certainty that I am a child of God." And I see nothing, absolutely nothing in the way except unyieldedness to the plan of God. (p. 54)

The main thing that God wants is obedience. Where you begin yielding and yielding to God, He has a plan for your life... (p. 55)

The baptism of Jesus must bring us to have a single eye for the glory of God; everything else is wasted time and wasted energy. Beloved, we can reach it; it is a high mark, but we can get to it. You ask how? "Lord, what do you want me to do?" (Acts 9:6) That is the plan. It means a perfect surrender to the call of God, and perfect obedience. (p. 60)

A dear young Russian came to England. he did not know the language but learned it quickly and was very much used and blessed of God. As the wonderful manifestations of the power of God were seen, people pressed upon him to know the secret of his power, but he felt it was so secret between him and God that he should not tell it. But they pressed so much that he said to them: "First, God called me, and His presence was so precious that I said to God at every call I would obey Him, and I yielded and yielded, and yielded, until I realized that I was simply clothed with another power altogether, and I realized that God took me, tongue, thoughts, and everything, and I was not myself but it was Christ working through me." (pp. 60-61)

Wow! My mentor challenges me today even as I write these words. May God become as precious to us as to that amazing, unknown Russian man whom Smith mentions, so that like him and Smith Wigglesworth, we may truly yield and yield until obedience becomes complete in us!

Stay lost in His love, embraced in His grace,

Tom, the least of Abba's children

No comments: