Monday, March 19, 2007

Be Like Jesus (part 3)

         Here is yet another thought on what it means to be like Jesus. To be like Jesus means to live in absolute dependence upon God, in absolute surrender to His will and purposes. I have hinted at this in my other posts, but I want to flesh it out a bit more.
     Jesus specifically stated that He did nothing apart from His Father. In John 5:30 He says, "By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me." (We have also looked at John 5:19 in earlier posts, which says something similar).
     Because of His dependence upon the Father, Jesus had very few decisions to make--He lived a truly simple life! His decisions were simply to listen to the Father and to do what He said, trusting in the Father's love, leadership and power.      Since Jesus taught that His followers were also to live in absolute dependence upon Him (John 15:4-5), our lives can also become remarkably simple. If we choose to be like Jesus, we find ourselves simply deciding to do whatever it takes to increase our ability to hear His voice and then deciding to obey what we hear, trusting in His love, leadership and power.
     Hmmm, I wonder how many believers (leaders or otherwise) can say that they truly live like that? We are good at quoting John 15:5 and Proverbs 3:5-6, but can we really say that we live a life that continually listens to, obeys and relies upon Him?
     I wonder what that would look like? I am fully committed to discovering the answer to this question, but if you join me in this, be forewarned! The little piece of the journey that I have taken so far has completely disrupted my previously comfortable world--so get ready for the "ride of your life"!
     Next time, I will post some wise words from someone who got remarkably close to living this out: Smith Wigglesworth.

Until then, may you stay lost in His love,

Tom, the least of Abba's children

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
Im a new Christian. 3 years ago, I was going thro real Hell in my life and ended up leaving my marriage and my job. I felt as if God was talking to me and saying that some huge thing was about to happen in my life and I had to just wait and I had the choice to wait in pain or joy. I have been waiting and have since found Christ. I feel like the love I have for Christ was the 'huge thing' so I started writing on my pc and would get answers, very positive and uplifting answers that did not seem like they were totally coming from me.
Recently I have looked back on what I wrote and a some of it is outright lies. This has made me question everything.
I am now a full committed Christian but feel none of the peace I should be feeling nor do I feel the Holy Spirit. People say it takes time but I am get just as chronically depressed and suicidal as I did before.
I should not be feeling that way should I if I have Christ in my life??? Teresa

Tom Wymore said...

Hi, Teresa,

No one can really tell you how you should be feeling! I know many Christians who fight a lot of depression and was myself moderately bi-polar (didn't require medication) until about 3 years ago.

It sounds to me like you would do well to find someone like a good Christian counselor, who also understands inner healing and deliverance, to help you walk through your pain.

As to learning to hear God's voice, it's not something one generally does alone. I recommend finding some others and working through Mark Virkler's book, Dialogue with God, or something similar.

Grace to you,

Tom