Saturday, September 15, 2012

Thoughts on Grace and Favor

     For a number of reasons, I have been thinking a lot about grace/favor of late, partly due to my pastor friend's series on God's favor, partly due to God's personal word to me about this being a year of favor for my family and me. I am not by any means done with my reflections about the many aspects of grace, but I thought I would capture some of my ramblings for today's blog, so here goes.
     There is a side of grace that covers and redeems. This seems to be what most Christians think of first when they hear the word grace. Our sins, past, present and future, are covered because of Jesus' death and resurrection, the ultimate and infinite expression of God's grace. It's good to start with that understanding of grace, of course, because it is the "grace by which we stand and the constant in our relationship with God. By grace we are always His children, His friends, His treasure and workmanship.
     But there is also the grace of God that empowers--active grace, as it were. This is the grace that releases the flow of God's power and guidance that enables us to live out our destinies as saints and servants as we mature in our life in Him. This is an aspect of grace that seems forgotten at times, but it is just as important as grace that forgives, perhaps more important in some ways because it grants to us the power to live in the freedom and power that God's kids are destined for.      
     There is also a wonderful side of grace that pursues us in order to bless us. Psalm 23:6 describes this kind of grace: “Surely goodness and mercy will pursue me all the days of my life.” Regarding Psalm 23:6, the NET Bible note says: “The word ‘pursue’ is used outside of its normal context in an ironic manner and creates a unique, but pleasant word picture of God's favor (or a kind God) ‘chasing down’ the one whom he loves.” This thought continues to explode for me! I have this picture of God in hot pursuit of me, ready to capture me and shower mercy and goodness on me the moment I stop running from Him and allow Him to capture me. It's as if He collides with me the moment I stop and turn to Him, knocking me gently to the ground with His kindness! 
     There is an aspect of grace that can grow, increase or even be diminished in its effects in our lives. We can choose to stand in the stream of God’s grace, or we can piddle around the edges or even work against it. I am not talking about "works" or performance but rather doing what is needed to receive the free, undeserved and continually extended gift that God offers to us. We can cooperate with God's grace by trusting in His grace to lead us and transform us. The way we receive the benefit of the many facets of Papa's grace is to reach out and take His grace into our lives through trusting, love-infused, Spirit guided and empowered obedience. (That's a lot in one sentence, eh? But I think you get the full picture I am trying to convey with it).
    What's truly amazing about grace is that God's gift of grace is indeed continually offered. What distinguishes and defines God’s favor is that it’s there for us to step back into the moment we repent (turn towards Him) and begin trusting Him again. The moment we step fully into His embrace, His favor begins to work, extricating us from the pits we dug, healing us from the wounds we incurred, etc. This may not all happen at once because in His wisdom He knows not to do everything at once for us, but the full benefit of His favor becomes totally operational the moment we are fully His again! No wonder we call it, “Amazing grace!” And it's also amazing in that even when we are turned away from Him, it's His grace that sustains and pursues us as He waits for us to collapse again into His good and perfect will for us! 
     One final thought I have had recently about grace is how it “increases with releases.” Jesus said, “Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy.” Grace and favor increase in their benefits in our lives as we release grace and favor to others. Whenever we plant grace in others it increases not only in their lives but also in ours! The more we give away, the more we have to give. How amazing is that? But it always starts with God’s grace extended to us. Nowhere is this more clear that in the references translated “forgiving one another” in Ephesians 4:32 and Colossians 3:13. The word there is literally “giving grace to one another” and is rooted in God first giving grace to us. Paul knew that grace extended becomes grace expanded only when it's grace released through forgiveness and blessing to others, even our enemies. Lots to think about on that one, eh?
     I could write more, but my "reflection motor" needs a rest for now, I guess. May you be ambushed today and often by His grace as it pursues, rescues and powers you towards your destiny in Him.

Lost in wonder, living by grace,

Tom, one of Abba's grace-saved children

No comments: