Friday, July 6, 2012

How Different Our Weapons: Generosity

     Today, I continue the series on how different our weapons as believers are. This looks like it will be a long series! So far, I am thinking that I will need to write about Generosity, Simplicity, Joy, Gratitude, Weakness, Kindness, Gentleness and several more. 
     I think one thing that is important to notice with all of these weapons, the reason they work so well against the enemy of our souls is that they are the opposite of the kingdom of darkness and very much in line with the nature and character of God. For example, there is nothing but fear in the kingdom of darkness, so when we come against the enemy with peace (especially when fear would be the expected response), it not only confused our adversary, it disempowers him by not feeding the things that give him power over us and others. I trust that makes sense--it's a very important factor is discerning what works against our foe and in evaluating what weapon to use (we operate in the opposite spirit). So today, I want to explore briefly the weapon of generosity.
     But before I do that, I have a few more thoughts about how important the weapon of peace is for us, especially during the current season of heated politics. The following thoughts came to me during my Papa time.
     I was thinking this morning about how fear never makes a good motivator for the things we really want to accomplish. Yes, fear can motivate--no doubt about that. And yes, sometimes fear is good in that it keeps us from harm. But most of the time, I doubt that it's the right choice, especially in bringing out the purposes of God. 
     For example, "Christians" in America are known more for what they are against rather than what they are for. We are often perceived as being against people and for causes. I wonder if that heart-breaking assessment comes from how often we are motivated by fear rather than faith and love. To illustrate this, ask yourself whether you believe that Christians are opposed to the radical homosexual agenda because of love for those caught in the deception of this broken lifestyle. Much of what I have seen and heard seems to me to be motivated more by fear than by concern for these confused souls. I wonder, too, if we don't often stir folks up to vote, to boycott, write their congressional rep or senator, etc. more by fear than by a loving and trusting response to a God who works out all things according to His purpose. Just wondering...
     Personally, I cannot see how either fear or the anger that flows from it ever really accomplish much. I can, however, see how fear and anger hurt us and others. I am quite convinced that peace is a better approach than fear! And then there's 1 Corinthians 13: “If I vote my conscience, if call my senator, if I advocate for justice for the poor, if I ____ but have not love, it profits me nothing.”  And James 1:19-20 “Be slow to anger because the anger of man does not produce the righteousness (justice) of God.” Just thinking….
     But now a few words about the remarkably powerful weapon of Generosity. What a remarkable weapon it is, and again so opposite to the kingdom of darkness--there is never a selfless act of giving in that kingdom. Everything, everything is done from self interest! (Thinks about that one for a while!). On the other hand, in God's Kingdom, everything He truly inspires flows from grace-filled generosity! 
     But how is Generosity a weapon? First, let me say that we are talking here about more than giving in the material realm. Generosity is an attitude, a sphere of operation, and it's Generosity of spirit that we are talking about here, and it affects every area of our lives, not just the material.
     Having established that, how does this amazing weapon work? Some of the ways it works are obvious, of course. When generosity is released against poverty and need, things obviously change. When time is generously given to another, that other's life is changed, etc. But there are ways it works as well. I cannot think of a better weapon against the covetousness of our American culture than Generosity! The more I consider that I am blessed in order to give (see 2 Corinthians 9:8-12), the less vulnerable I am to giving in to the urge to "shop until I drop" or "get that latest gadget" or whatever our covetousness-base culture is urging me to do. I cannot think of a better weapon to use against our culture's "me first" attitude. As I begin to allow God to reshape my thinking towards Generosity rather than gratification, I become a powerful force for His work in others and in the culture itself. Maybe you are catching my drift now, eh? In every area where the enemy has deceived, tempted or attacked, a Generous spirit giving birth to Generosity brings a powerful counterattack!
     So much more here, but I will stop now, believing that Holy Spirit can help you discover more implications, more uses for the weapon of Generosity.

Learning to live generously,

Tom, one of Abba's children

No comments: